How To Relieve Stress for Night Sleep
Chronic stress can have many long-term effects, including poor sleep or even sleepless nights.
Stress This elevates the heart rate, quickens breathing, and increases stress hormones in the body. Anxiety is type of stress that continues even after the stressor is gone.
Anxiety is known to produce similar physiological effects.
Relaxation techniques can help slower heart rate and breathing pattern, a lower blood pressure, and an overall feeling of calm helping the person to get a good nights sleep.
Tips for Relieving Night-time Stress
Of the various tools available for relieving night-time stress and anxiety before bedtime, Some people use only one or two of these relaxation tools while others practice a combination of them. If stress and sleep are a chronic concern, it is advisable to seek help from your Doctor. Following below are tools which can be used to relieve stress.
One of the most useful, ancient and powerful tools is Meditation. It helps to calm your mind and slow your thoughts. There are several types of meditation.
· is the process of . It is to be completely present in the moment, not allowing your focus to wander to other thoughts. If you are just beginning with meditation, this may seem difficult but it will get easier with practice. It has been shown to reduce sleep disturbances in adults.
is a technique of slowly concentrating on parts of the body and noticing any sensations or pains. To practice this technique, you should focus on a specific part of your body, one at a time. This can either be a systematic scanning, from head to toe, or a more random scanning of the body parts making a connection with the floor. Let your attention be focused completely on your body.
is when one is verbally guided through a meditative experience and encouraged to visualize a calming location. These guided meditations can include music and nature sounds to assist with relaxing.
· Meditation can be done any time before bed, and it can also be done during the night if you find yourself unable to relax.
The goal is to take slow, even, and deep breaths.
Though there are many structured practices for deep breathing, including the 4-7-8 method and lion’s breath, you can begin very simply. Start by placing your hand on your stomach and inhaling slowly. When you feel your stomach rise, hold your breath for a moment, then exhale slowly. Different practices may incorporate counting breaths and adjusting the time breath is held before exhaling.
Progressive relaxation requires concentration on certain parts of the body. You contract and release your muscles up and down your body in sequence, beginning with your toes, feet, calves, and so on. This allows you to relieve the physical tensions and stresses you may be experiencing.
Biofeedback is the use of an electronic device to For people with stress, anxiety, or even insomnia, biofeedback can be a useful tool for identifying functions of concern and regulating them.
It is important to remember that relaxation techniques are not a replacement for proper advise of doctor if there is a medical concern.
Stress Relief During Your Nighttime Routine
While the above relaxation techniques can be incorporated into your nighttime routine, you can also take some other practices into consideration.
· . Check your sleep environment for possible Disturbances. A good sleep environment is dark with little noise.
· . Both can affect one’s ability to have undisturbed sleep
· . Not only can this help you relax and de-stress, which can help you fall asleep faster.
· . : Keep all your electronics outside your Bedroom. Avoid Mobile phone exposure. Blue light harms your ability to relax. Avoid it at all costs.
· . Write your thoughts down. It helps to clear your mind and bring clarity.Keep a journal by your bedside so you can write down any anxiety that may come up in the moments before bed.
· -Do List: Writing down a to-do list for the following day can also help you get to bed sooner and get sound sleep. Numerous patients have future anxiety due to lack or ability to control the future. A to do list brings some semblance to the chaotic world.
· . Set aside a specific time of the day to worry about everything you have going on. The goal of this exercise is to address the causes of that worry before it can get out of control. Do this exercise with sufficient diligence for good results.
Good Daytime Habits for Relieving Nighttime Stress
Exercise During Day
Daytime Exercise is linked to better sleep. It has been found in patients generalized with a lot of anxiety disorders that even mild exercise does help in improving sleep.
Wake up at the same regular time
Wake up at the same time everyday regardless of weekend or Holiday. It is an essential component of Health Hygiene.
Consistent practice of relaxing techniques can help long-term improvement of Sleep. If you have concerns which tools are suitable for you, please dont hesitate to contact your treating Doctor.